LIFE programme, started in 1992, was developed through 4 phases: LIFE I (1992-1995), LIFE II (1996-1999), LIFE III (2000-2006), LIFE + (2007-2013).
The current phase of the program, which covers the period 2014-2020, is disciplined by the LIFE regulation for the environment and the action for climate, that continues and reinforces the former LIFE+ programme, with a new line of intervention to address the new environmental scenarios related to climate change.
Some of the new LIFE programme general objectives:
- contributing to the implementation and development of the European Union policy and legislation concerning environment and climate
- promoting and disseminating the best solutions and practices to reach the environmental and climate objectives
- encouraging innovative technologies concerning environment and climate change
The programme is divided in two sub-programmes:
- The Sub-programme for Environment which includes three priority areas: Environment and Resources Efficiency, Nature and Biodiversity, Environmental Governance and Information
- The Sub-programme for Â Climate Action which includes three priority areas: Climate Change Mitigation, Climate Change Adpatation, Climate Governance and Information
The whole text of the LIFE regulation, as well as the information regarding single sub-programmes, are available on the European Commission website
The access page to the LIFE programme also contains a database with all the projects financed from 1992 to today
Life HelpSoil project is financed by the LIFE+ programme (2007-2013) with regard to the line of intervention “LIFE+ Environment Policy and Governarce“.